Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Free Hugs"

Everything fell together the way it was supposed to so I could see this one sign. Dakota and I were going for a nap drive on Sunday. I pulled in the shopping center to get a soda for the drive. I didn't turn one way to get to Jack in the Box because a car was blocking the way, so I had to go straight. And there she sat. A sweet looking woman, probably in her 50's, sitting in a lawn chair on the corner holding a sign. "Free Hugs"

The sign made my day. It gave me hope. It reminded me that people do care. Here was this woman spending time on a Sunday offering hope to complete strangers. I went through the drive thru, got my soda, and purposely drove by her again. I rolled down my window and thanked her for making me smile. "You're very welcome" she said with a warm smile.

As I drove for the next hour my thoughts kept returning to the woman and her sign. I know God used her to reach me and wonder how many others He touched through her. He is always there ready to offer free hugs. Anytime of day, any situation, as much as we need. I need to remember this when I'm feeling lonely or struggling to cope.

God is always there ready to give hugs. And if drive the right way on Sundays, there might be a nice woman who is willing too.


**Update** -- Update to my last post: Dakota is still struggling at night time, but I'm not sure it's just the milk. We went to a birthday party that weekend and apparently the entire family who's house we were at ended up with the flu. And the little one that's Dakota's age had the exact same symptoms for two weeks. I think her tummy is getting better.....but getting her to stay in her bed is still our biggest challenge!

2 comments:

Emily P. said...

Just wanted to leave a comment to let you know I love you! It seems Coda's doing better this week, don't you think? I hope you know there are always free hugs available from me! Hang in there. My mom has a quote that goes something like this: "In the end, everything will be okay. If it's not okay, it's not the end yet." HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny. Just wanted you to know I have exactly the same problems you related in the other post with Matheus who is now 02 years old (surprise??). Tell me if you find some way to keep them in (their) bed ( not in our) at night. Keep in touch..
Love,
Heloisa