Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Carseat is Empty!

I spent three hours at the mall yesterday with my friend Lauren -- three hours! And all without a stroller. Dakota was at daycare for most of the day. It's weird after all this time to keep looking in the rearview mirror and thinking I forgot the baby because she's not there. Or thinking that she's sleeping because it's so quiet. So instead of feeling foolish for talking to myself (Dakota is my main source of conversation), I called others while I drove to keep busy.

Lauren and I had a leisurely lunch......what, I don't have to scarf my food down just in case someone starts to get fussy?! Then we walked around the mall, browsing, buying and returning. I had to carry my own bags though, couldn't put them in the stroller. And I couldn't keep a drink handy in the stroller's cupholder. Of course I also had use of both of my hands for the entire afternoon!

So while it's nice to have some time to myself for a change, it's also taking some getting used to. I think it's a good lesson in striving to enjoy the moment I'm in. Enjoy the time I'm with Dakota, because she's cute and fun and I miss her when I'm not with her. And then enjoy the free mommy time because she's cute and fun and I miss her when I'm not with her.

Ok, I have to run a few more errands and go fill the carseat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new blog! (I've been blogging for a year now and sometimes feel it's my only source of sanity!

Dakota is such a sweetheart! I just know that you and Tony (okay, mostly Tony) will get into a groove and he'll pick up on being an independant Daddy in no time. I remember Rob wearing masks and gloves when he changed AJ for the first few times... HA! Enjoy this time - it is so precious!

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny. It's Heloisa. Im also a first time mom so I understand everything you shared in your blog. Marcio always helped with Matheus, including changing poopy diapers, but I always heard "he wants his mommy", especially at bed time when we are both tired after a day of work.
It's incredible how we complain we don't have time to anything else when we have a baby but then when we have a free mommy time, as you said, we miss them so much. I think that is the meaning of being a mother..
Hugs for you and Dakota

Karen Hossink said...

How nice you had that afternoon out with Lauren! A leisurely lunch and the use of both your hands...What a treat! :)
I am a firm believer that I'm a better mom when I have some "me time" - when no one is calling me mom. And, yes, I miss my kids and am happy to see them again, too!