Sunday, May 20, 2007

It's Daddy's Turn.....Almost

I finally convinced Tony to start sharing in Dakota's bedttime routine with me getting ready to go back to work. Tonight was the first night and it was kind of funny to be the one in the other room overhearing things for a change. It started by my getting out Dakota's pajamas and putting them on the changing table. Then I left. Then I heard a lot of laughing and "Daddy's not very good at this." Apparently Tony thought he would just take Dakota's shirt off like he does his own -- just lifting her arms and trying to pull it off all at once. Ha! Then I heard "Mommy!". Which meant she had pooped. Daddy doesn't change poopy diapers. (Well, he really doesn't change any, but he WON'T change poopy ones unless stranded on an island) So we got that taken care of. I smiled as I watched Tony pick up the pajamas as I left the nursery -- he was turning them up and around trying to figure out which way they went. It took a few rounds of snapping to get it together right and we were on our way!

Dakota has two teeth that we just started brushing, so I told him tonight I would do it so he could see what we do. He laughed when Dakota opened her mouth on her own, ready for our toofies to be brushed. Storytime! Another 5 minutes I can scoot out into the kitchen and clean up. "Mommy! What ones do I read to her?" Well, you read all four that are on the stool and then you let her pick one of those four to read a second time. Ok, so I like to stretch bedtime out and she really can pick one on her own. It's pretty funny to watch. But his response was funny too. "ALL of them?" Yep!

So next time (Tuesday) Daddy will also be brushing teeth and trying a bottle. All of his questions and little goofs reminded me of everything I did with Dakota when we brought her home. Ok, so he's nine months behind......but I can't tell you how monumental it is to get this far. He told me today that he's still scared at the thought of taking care of her by himself. Which that admission in a calm voice is also pretty impressive for him. I realized after my mom left to go back to Michigan when Dakota was three weeks old, I had to figure things out on my own. There was no one to teach me. But I could do something better for Tony. I could help him learn how to take care of our daughter. The trick is to not let him know I'm doing it.

1 comment:

Karen Hossink said...

Hooray! You did it! Now you're a blogger.
And soon enough you'll be able to say this same cheer for Tony, as he successfully manages a bedtime all by himself.
I love the title you've chosen for your blog and the explanation of it. And I bet that song DOES help Dakota.